Sunday, October 13, 2013

Steve King Interview


Hey guys! I'm happy to publish this week's interview with Steve King. I first came across Mr. King from a rather funny article that he wrote which involved him losing his pants in public and exposing an audience to his underwear to everyone. That article can be found here: http://yummymummybeauty.com/2013/dishy-daddy-july/

I'm also going to shamelessly steal Yummy Mummy Beauty's bio on him:

"Steve King, is a Men’s Grooming Expert, broadcaster and journalist. He is a former editor of Men’s Health Magazine, as well as numerous women’s magazines. He was also the resident expert on Channel 4’s Richard & Judy Show and wrote fashion and grooming columns in both The Sunday Express and The Mail on Sunday.
He is the foster parent to three children, aged 11, six and two-years-old and is a true believer that women are not the only ones who need a helping hand in the “looking their best” department. Steve is a grooming guru to be reckoned with and will stop at nothing to help turn the nation’s men into “Dishy Daddies!”"
I highly encourage you to keep up with him on his Twitter -- he always has great recommendations on fashion and grooming! Oh, and he's hilarious!
1. Age: 42.
2. Where are you from?
Originally Edinburgh, Scotland but have lived all over the world and now live in the country in the UK.
3. Favorite superhero?
Oh that's a hard one. It's a toss up between Batman and Superman. I'll go for Superman as he gets to wear his underwear on show!
4. Who or what inspired your interest in men’s fashion and grooming products Have you always cared about fashion?
I have always been one of those guys who had a real interest in fashion. When I was at university I was lucky enough to have a six week internship with a marketing company who was organising a global fashion event. I got to meet nearly every A-list designer from Marc Jacobs to Calvin Klein and Vivienne Westwood. It sort of took off from there. 
5. What has been the most rewarding experience as a columnist and writer for magazines? Do you ever find it strange that other men are interested in what you have to say about fashion and grooming?
I think the best compliment any writer can get is when a reader actually takes the time to write to you and thank you for something you have provided information on. Writers are communicators - so the ultimate reward is knowing that even one person has benefited from something you have said. 
6. How do you typically judge a grooming product? Is there a certain method or rubric you always follow?
I've been in the business so long I can pretty much cut through the crap in seconds. Lots of companies send out glossy releases informing you about the product and basically telling you what it does. I'm very much of the try before you buy school. If I like a product and it works then I will be behind it. I have an army of guys who offer to test products for me too so I am never short of opinions. 
7. What exactly is a “Dishy Daddy?”
Apparently I am. It's a massive compliment. It's a English phrase that means handsome. It wasn't me who coined the phrase btw. 
8. What is the one grooming product you absolutely could not live without?
Clinique aloe shaving gel. It's a must have. I always have two spare bottles and have used it for 20 years!
9. What’s your biggest pet peeve or “no-no” when it comes to men’s fashion?
There are so many. Socks with sandals - why?
White tube socks anywhere other than in a sports situation
Old guys in clothes 20 years too young for them
Mullets and ponytails..... I could go on. Sometimes I reckon some guys get dressed in the dark and don't have a mirror!
10. Do you/will you let your kids make their own fashion choices? 
Yes the two girls already do. The 11-year-old is much more of a tomboy, the 7-year-old is a complete glitter sparkle kid and our 2-year-old lives anything that had Spider-Man or cars on it. It's important for kids to explore and discover what they like. 
11. You have some pretty artistic tattoos – can you tell me the meaning or significance behind them?
I'm very into all things Japanese. The tattoo is a work in progress. It has everything from cherry blossoms representing just how precious and short life is, to carp symbolizing good fortune, a dragon offering protection, an lots of other Japanese symbology. 
 There are also a series of numbers 'hidden' in the design which have special significance to me. 
12. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?
Definitely briefs. I can't imagine wearing anything else. I like to feel fully supported and so briefs offer that. I hate feeling that my bits are 'swinging in the wind' and find that completely uncomfortable. 
13. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?
I love CK, the fit of the sport brief is great. I also like AussieBum, Diesel, Andrew Christian and am always on the look out for new brands. 
14. Do you have a lucky or favorite pair of underwear? If so, what style/color?
I am very my a grab and go sort of guy. I take whatever underwear I grab first!
15. What would someone find if they went through your underwear drawer?
Apart from underwear - absolutely nothing. I am über organised. My underwear is neatly displayed. My walk-in wardrobe is colour coordinated for Gods sake. I hate not knowing where a certain shirt is or a sweater. I did a great deal of tv work so I have a ridiculous amount of clothes and must have 200 pairs of jeans, 100 suits, it's embarrassing. Hence why it needs to be organised. 
16. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories? 
I was once rushing to catch a flight from South Africa back to London. I arrived with minutes to spare. I had thrown on these baggy trousers and a hoodie as it was a night flight and intended on changing into the PJs they give you on the plane. The security personnel insisted I take off the canvas belt with the trousers. I said my pants will fall down. Anyway I did as requested and my pants dropped. I was totally exposed. It was mortifying. 
17. GQ wrote an article a few months ago stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?
As along as they are tighty and have not gone saggy and baggy then I am all for them. Guys need to chuck out old, tired, misshapen, unsupportive underwear.  
18. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
Work hard. Never give up and believe you can achieve your dreams






No comments:

Post a Comment