Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sean Lerwill Interview


This week's interview is with Sean Lerwill. Mr. Lerwill is an actor, international cover model, a published author, AND an ex Royal Marine. He kindly provided some photos of his modeling which can be found after the interview. Go follow him on Twitter and his Facebook -- he posts even more great pictures!

1. Age: 32

2. Where are you from? England, UK

3. Favorite superhero?

Spiderman - but I love Deadpool. I would love to play him in a Marvel movie. Spread the word, Sean Lerwill for Deadpool!

4. Zoolander or Hansel? Zoolander

5. Who or what inspired your fitness interest? Have you always been fit?  

I've always been into fitness. Probably inspired as far back as He-Man and Spiderman toys. I loved their physiques! Certainly Sylvester Stallone and Arnie played a part. Yes, since I was a kid. My mum tells stories of me and a friend at age 9 lifting rocks like weights! I would shove my feet under the sofa and do 300 sit-ups watching TV!

6. What would you say is the toughest aspect of being a fitness model?  

The negative comments people seem to think they have the right to put out when photos of you are associated with a brand or magazine. It seems everyone is an expert on physiques. I guess everyone has their opinion of what a fitness model should look like and feels it's necessary to voice them. 

7. What’s been the most rewarding experience as a fitness model?  

I was lucky enough to be chosen for a trip to Lake Tahoe by one of the big outdoor brands. To be flown from the UK to the US and driven in a Limo from San Francisco to Tahoe was an incredible experience. An amazing trip. However, that's not really rewarding in the true sense of the word. I think meeting the people I've been able to meet and being able to create a reach that's enabled me to advise and inspire others to lead a healthier lifestyle has been the real reward for me.

8. What have you learned about yourself from being a model?  

That I'm far more confident that I was 10/15 years ago and more than I ever thought I would be.

9. How do you stay in shape? That is, what does your typical weekly gym schedule look like? How do you keep yourself motivated to stick to your schedule?  

I've never had an issue with motivation. If anything I have to force myself to rest. I love training and miss it when I don't get the chance, so I always make the time. My schedule varies. I periodise my training to keep it fresh, ensure I'm always progressing, and to stop it from getting boring. I also have a group of friends (actors, models, military - male and female) and they try to train with me whenever they can, so sometimes I tweak my schedule to suit us all.

In general though:

1 or 2 leg sessions a week, 1 interval session a week, then various splits ensuring all the muscles are worked. I've used systems like GVT, 8x8, Jim Stoppnai's programmes etc. Always some great stuff to try to keep things interesting.

10. Can you tell me about what your regular diet looks like? Do you have a guilty pleasure when it comes to sweets or junk food?

I eat sensibly but am far from restrictive. I base my diet around protein at every meal (5-6 per day)  from eggs, beef burgers/steak, fish and poultry. I eat a good portion of vegetables and basic carbs like rice, sweet potato, oats and bread with almost every meal. I have 2-4 protein shakes a day depending on how busy I am and how much training I do. I have fruit post training and berries before bed with oats and casein. Guilty pleasure wise, to be honest, I mix it up. Burger restaurants are a favourite, but so too are pizzas. As a kid I had a sweet tooth, but that seems to have waned! 

11. What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym?  

Men lifting up their tops to check their abs...like they've changed in the 10 minutes since they looked in the changing rooms. 

12. Can you tell me about the books you have written, and any books that are in the works?

I've had 3 books published so far: The Royal Marines Guide to Fitness (2010), Guide To Running (2011) and Triathlon Manual (2012) all published by Haynes. I have just (last week) handed in the manuscript for my 4th Haynes book, which is a 12 week transformation guide. It will be available in January for the post holiday gym rush! I am now working on my 5th book, which I've been asked to write for Men's Fitness. It's a military based transformation book - not using the normal gym kit as you usually get with those books, so far more appropriate for those that try to avoid the gym.

13. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?  

Boxers. I'm not sure why. I think perhaps from pressure to be cool as a kid! But these days I do find them more comfortable. Briefs for exercise, boxers for normal times, commando for relaxing!

14. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?  

My drawer is generally filled with Calvins, Jack Wills and Abercrombie boxers. Calvins because you just have to. Abercrombie because I like the fit, and Jack Wills because they are good quality, yet always cheap in the sales.

15. You’re in a public place and you get a natural wedgie -- how do you handle it?  

I'm not shy, I generally just go for it. We're all human.

16. What would someone find if they went through your underwear drawer?

Just underwear I'm afraid. There is a flesh coloured thong from a Rugby job I did for IntoTheFray http://vimeo.com/30782535#

17. While you were in the Royal Marines, did you have to wear a specific type of mandated underwear?  

You didn't have to and when I joined, you didn't get issued underwear, but as the Afghanistan conflict started they did issue an antimicrobial shorts. They made me itch though. I preferred Nike base layer style shorts/cycling shorts. Stopped rubs between the legs, especially as we would sometimes wear them for many days on end!

18. Do you have a lucky or favorite pair of underwear? If so, what style/color?  

Not anymore. I think as a kid/teenager I had that favourite pair of boxers (usually the most expensive/newest) that I thought should be the pair I'm wearing if I got lucky. These days, I have a few that look a bit tired that I wouldn't wear! I have 1 or 2 that I'd choose above others for an underwear/briefs photoshoot though. Both are Calvins.

19. GQ wrote an article stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?

I'm no fashioista, so I wouldn't argue with the mighty GQ. I think it's down to the individual and how confident you are. It's amazing what a decent physique and a bit of confidence can do, whatever you're wearing!

20. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories? 

Two funny stories I guess.

1. Not mine, but an old girlfriend's underwear. It was my last day of 3 years at University and my mum came to pick me up and collect all my stuff from the dorm room in London. She was doing the cursory check of the room even though I said I had everyting. She looked under the bed and said she could see "something." I looked and saw a girl's thong. Funny, because I don't remember the girl in question saying she was leaving "sans underwear!" I grabbed them and shoved them into my pocket. Busted!

The second story was embarrassing. It was summer and I was late for an audition. I was really hot. When I got there they asked for me to strip down into my underwear. I was wearing grey Calvins. I had sweated running, not to be late. You guessed it, sweat marks on the grey underwear material. Not good. I didn't get the job and I leanred to wear black boxers to auditions!

21. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

"That'll do will never do". A Royal Marine Commando mantra. Simply put, if you ever catch yourself saying "that'll do," give it another go. You can do better.





No comments:

Post a Comment