Sunday, February 16, 2014

Joey Thurman Interview


This week's interview is with the ruggedly handsome Joey Thurman. Mr. Thurman is a model for Chosen Models and the co-founder of The Lifestyle Renovation. Mr. Thurman also sent me more of his modeling photos, which can be found after the interview. I encourage all of you follow his Twitter and check out his Lifestyle Renovation page! 


1. Age: 30

2. Where are you from?

Oh that's a loaded question. I was born is Savannah, GA, lived there briefly, moved to Appleton, WI from 4-13, then Saint Louis from 13-23, and the past 7+ years Chicago.
3. Favorite workout song? Anything that gets me going. 

4. Favorite superhero? Superman 
5. Who or what inspired your fitness and model interest? Have you always been fit?

I have been a lifelong athlete playing soccer, baseball, and hockey through college so some would say fitness has been my life. Although "in shape" has many different connotations, I would say I have been active my entire life. 

6. How did you get involved with Chosen Models?

After my senior year in college I decided to stop getting beat up on the ice for a living and take a job as a personal trainer in Chicago while I simultaneously signed a fashion modeling contract with a small agency. I was with the small agency for a while and decided I needed more direction with modeling so I signed with Chosen and it has been great ever since!
7. What would you say is the toughest aspect of being a fitness model?

Not the working out.....the dedication to the clean eating. I often have to turn down liquor, pizza, beer, fried foods, etc, etc... Life is about balance, if I have a shoot coming up I'm 100% clean, if I don't every now and then I will indulge my sweet tooth!
8. What’s been the most rewarding experience as a fitness model?

Landing magazine covers, it's not the cover that matters but the hard work that paid off leading to that cover!
9. How do you stay in shape? That is, what does your typical weekly gym schedule look like? How do you keep yourself motivated to stick to your schedule? 

My business partner and I (Mr. Australia 2002: Marcus Warren) created a workout/nutrition program called ProCycle12, www.procycle12.com (available for digital download) that keeps me on point with my training and nutrition schedule. You need to be on a program to see continued results, this is truly the best way to stay on course! I always set small goals for myself that lead to an overall goal. My week consists of rotating lifting either 3,4, or 5 days a week with cardio days (mainly sprints) on my "off" days. My exact program is laid out at procycle12.com
10. Can you tell me about what your regular diet looks like? Do you have a guilty pleasure when it comes to sweets or junk food?

My regular diet is gluten, soy, preservative, and dairy free with the exception of whey protein pre and post workout. Guilty pleasure......ANYTHING sweet, love it!
11. What’s the most interesting health/fitness tip or fact you’ve come across?

Hmmmm.... That's a tough one! I would say that your workouts don't need to be long, they need to be efficient!
12. What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym?

​People sitting on equipment forever!

13. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?

Depends on the day, briefs if I'm rocking some snug jeans, boxers if I have a little more breathing room, lol!
14. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?

I like the new sport stuff from Jockey, Calvin Klein is a classic as well. I need durable, movable, breathable underwear. That wasn't supposed to rhyme!
15. You’re in a public place and you get a natural wedgie -- how do you handle it?

Discreetly pick it!
16. What would someone find if they went through your underwear drawer?

Underwear, hahaha!

17. Do you have a lucky or favorite pair of underwear? If so, what style/color?

Not really, I try to make my own luck. 
18. GQ wrote an article stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?

I will rock a pair of tighty whities with pride! 

19. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories? 

All I have to say is remember underwear when you workout and plan on wearing not-so-soft jeans after a workout, ouch!
20. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

Live your life so the people around you can say they are PROUD of you!








No comments:

Post a Comment