I'm thrilled to publish this weeks interview with the incredibly fit underwear and fitness model Eric Block. He kindly provided me numerous awesome pictures of him modeling underwear which can be found at the end of the interview. I encourage you all to follow him and his modeling adventures on his Twitter and Instagram -- there's even more pictures of him there! Go check 'em out!
1. Age: 23 years old
2. Where are you from? Philadelphia, PA
3. Favorite workout song? Anything by Eminem, I like the yelling in his songs in the gym for hype up purposes
4. Favorite superhero?
Wolverine, he is a badass, jacked, and has metal as a skeleton, plus he can heal himself extremely fast which is pretty bad ass.
5. Who or what inspired your fitness and model interest? Have you always been fit?
My fitness inspiration was just kids my age in 8th grade that would make chubby jokes and I made a promise to make every single one of them eat their words. I have been active and athletic all my life but really stepped it up in 8th grade and never looked back.
My mother and father inspired my model interest because they taught me to believe in myself.
6. What would you say is the toughest aspect of being a model?
Toughest aspect of being a model is the criticism and learning to cope with rejection.
7. What’s been the most rewarding experience as a fitness model?
The most rewarding aspect of being a model is of course the experiences and once in a lifetime opportunities, however, it is pretty amazing when people know who you are from your pictures before you even enter a room. Extremely humbling as well.
8. What have you learned about yourself from being a fitness model?
I have learned that you can’t please everyone. You can only stay true to yourself and follow your own path.
9. How do you stay in shape? That is, what does your typical weekly gym schedule look like? How do you keep yourself motivated to stick to your schedule?
My gym schedule goes as follows:
Two-a-days every day except Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday and Sunday I make sure to train once but just break up my training.
Monday: 9am- heavy chest 5pm- high volume arms
Tuesday: 9am- heavy shoulders 5pm- high volume legs
Wednesday: 9am- heavy back 5pm- high volume chest
Thursday: 9am- heavy legs 5pm- high volume shoulders
Friday: 9am- heavy arms 5pm- high volume back
Saturday: calves, traps, hamstrings, glutes (all high volume)
Sunday: triceps, quads, calves, abs (all high volume)
I stay motivated to keep this schedule because I want to train unlike everyone else to achieve a physique no one else has.
10. Can you tell me about what your regular diet looks like? Do you have a guilty pleasure when it comes to sweets or junk food?
Diet is pretty clean year round. My main protein sources are chicken and fish, but if I want to put on a little more size I will add in red meat. My carbs consist of veggies, and my starch carbs are mainly, steel cut oats, sweet potato, brown rice, and grits. My guilty pleasure is either pizza or sushi.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym?
My biggest pet peeve at the gym is when people are talking and bullshitting around while I am waiting to use a piece of equipment or particular weight.
12. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?
Boxer briefs are my underwear of choice. They are tight which I like but long enough to not ride up.
13. Has your current preference always been your underwear preference? If not, what’d you switch from, and what made you change?
Originally I was a big fan of regular boxers but I switched as I got more into working out because it became too uncomfortable to wear the loose boxers when going hard in the gym.
14. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?
No particular underwear brand, but I tend to like designer brands more than anything else, probably because that is what I am given during photo shoots.
15. You’re in a public place and you get a natural wedgie -- how do you handle it?
I will probably try to pick it out if it’s that uncomfortable.
16. What would someone find if they went through your underwear drawer?
Boxer briefs both athletic and designer.
17. Do you have a lucky or favorite pair of underwear? If so, what style/color?
No lucky pair in particular.
18. GQ wrote an article a few months ago stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?
I disagree with GQ because “tighty whities” are too tight and can ride up my legs especially when I’m working out.
19. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories?
My only embarrassing underwear story is that back when I first started working out I wore boxers and when I was squatting I ripped the pair of boxers in half.
20. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?