Sunday, March 2, 2014

Dylan Garner Interview


Dylan Garner is a model with Elite Model London. Mr. Garner kindly shared some of his modelling photos which can be found at the end of this interview. Go follow him on his Twitter -- there's even more awesome pictures!

 1. Age: 30 

2. Where are you from? Tregaron, a small town in west Wales. 

3. Favorite superhero? Raphael (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)  

4. Have you always been fit?

Growing up in the country side with two brothers of similar age for as long as I can remember we always played sports of some kind together in the garden or raced around the village on bikes, climbed trees etc.

5. Who or what inspired you to become a model? 

After university I was a primary school teacher for 3 years and my colleagues (90% female) would always joke that I should go to London and be a model, but it wasn't until 5 years later on a chance visit to NYC I was asked to be a model whilst drinking in a bar called McSorleys by Kirsten from Red models. Haven't looked back since.


6. What would you say is the toughest aspect of being a model?

Not knowing what you're doing from day to day, so organizing holidays, work and seeing family from home is hard. I have cut many holidays short to fly back to London for modeling jobs, a particular costly one was from a wedding in Miami to London for a CK underwear show. I also missed Glastonbury this year after getting a ticket, but I can't complain I feel like I'm on one big holiday.


7. What’s been the most rewarding experience as a model?

I think I've been lucky and have had opportunities to travel and shoot with great photographers and stylists but In April this year I shot an editorial for Port magazine with both my younger brothers, Rhydian and Llyr. Over the years we have worked on building sites, been behind a bar, played in the same football, rugby and cricket teams but I never thought I would ever feature in a fashion magazine with them. It was also shot in my home town Tregaron.

8. Have you had any embarrassing or awkward experiences while modeling? 

I have done two naked shoots, one with Noemi Loire for Pony Step magazine and the other with Diane Kruger for Tetu (which saw my bum on the cover) I didn't really find either awkward or embarrassing but the Pony Step shoot was shot in a cold studio in January ;) 


9. What is your favorite way to stay in shape? 

Over the years I have tried different types of training, mostly sprints and weights for rugby, but at the moment I've really gotten into rock climbing and bouldering. I go to the Mile End wall and I find it gives me an all over work out that's challenging, fun and social.

10. Can you also tell me about what your regular diet looks like? Do you have a guilty pleasure when it comes to sweets or junk food?

I'm very lucky that I don't really have to watch what I eat so much. Now that I'm thirty maybe I should as my metabolism may be slowing down ;) 

My house mate Max Hearne is a great cook and often cooks great healthy breakfasts and dinners. I try to have 3 eggs, avocado and some vegetables every morning, then my diet varies through out the day to day. My vice is a Prets: a manger bacon and cheese croissant.  I also love a few beers on a Friday night which leads to a chicken kebba ;) 

11. You’re also a handyman – do you prefer modeling or working as a handyman more?

I find the time between modelling jobs frustrating, sometimes it can be a week or more between modeling gigs, so to fill this time I do DIY at offices and people's homes, I also work part time in an antiques store called Phoenix on Golbourn Rd. which I love. I definitely enjoy working with my hands and also love to wear nice clothes and hang out on on set.

I get to meet interesting and cool people at both aspects. A long day in a hot studio makes me appreciate the nice DIY days and the stressful, sometimes messy, DIY jobs make me appreciate my modelling jobs. The two professions work well together I think 

12. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?

Growing up I always wore briefs, mostly for support whilst in gym or playing sport, I hardly ever wore loose boxers (not good for the swimmers I know). Now i generally wear boxer briefs day to day and going out, and briefs for climbing and the gym.

13. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?

I wear any brand, I have a mix from different jobs I've done and have been allowed to keep. I really like my Sunspell briefs and boxer briefs, super cool and comfortable. I also find  Hugo Boss boxer briefs fit me well.

14. Do you have a lucky or favorite pair of underwear? If so, what style/color? 

Not any more but during my football and rugby days I had a pair of 'Next' briefs that I had a superstition about. I always tried to wear them for games. I wore them to shreds.

15. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories?

I once (before modelling days)  auditioned for 'Total Wipe Out' in Cardiff, in a pair of tight white Lycra briefs and on the back of them I wrote 'the naked welsh man' (inspired from the naked cowboy) I didn't get on the show :( 

16. GQ wrote an article stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?

I've always been a tighty whities man really. 

17. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

I've been given a lot over the years. My Dad always had great advice to any sort of problem I had that always helped me along. Among many this stuck with me and I try and remember it when new opportunities are given to me:

"This life is not a rehearsal for the next one so try and do it right this time" (or words to that effect) 

My old form teacher Mr. Williams told me every day "Garner remember - 'no guts no glory!'"

 I like reading about Churchill and I like particularly this quote:

"Successes is not final, failure is not futile but the courage to carry on is what's important" 




No comments:

Post a Comment