Ross Austen is a fitness model, and it was my pleasure having the chance to interview him. Mr. Austen was extremely pleasant to talk to and answered all my questions in a timely manner. He also provided me with some of his modeling pictures, which can be found after the interview. I highly encourage you all to check out his Facebook as well as his Twitter. Seriously guys, following this man will brighten your day because he's so nice and optimistic!
1. Age: 25
2. Where are you from?
I was born and raised in Zimbabwe, and I moved over to the UK in 2003 with my parents.
3. Favorite movie?
I don’t have one favorite but enjoy a couple Iron Man, Wolverine, Taken, Shooter and Role Models.
4. Favorite workout song?
I don’t tend to listen to specific songs, just what is on at the gym at the time. There are a few occasions I have taken my Ipod into the gym and the music will normally come from the following genres: rock, dance and dubstep.
5. Who or what inspired your health and fitness interest? Have you always been fit?
Back in late 2008 I lost a member of my family that affected me quite badly and I kind of went off the rails a bit. I was inspired by the current models on the fitness magazines and I set out to on a venture to become a cover model myself. I have always been very sporty, playing in various sports at both county and national level.
6. Who or what inspired you to become a fitness model?
I have always dreamt of appearing on the cover of Men’s Health magazine.
7. What would you say is the toughest aspect of being a model?
It is a very tough industry with a lot of good looking guys and girls in it. A lot of doors do get closed in your face and you are told you are not good enough regularly. As a result, you have to have a thick skin and not accept no for an answer.
8. What’s been the most rewarding experience as a fitness model?
The most rewarding experience is having a positive influence on people’s lives and inspiring them to make healthier choices.
9. What have you learned about yourself from being a fitness model?
I have learned to have a thick skin and not accept no for an answer. Sometimes doors will close in front of you; all you have to do is re-think your strategy and carry on pursuing your goals. I have also learnt not to be afraid of failure as it will prevent you from entering certain competitions and taking other opportunities that come your way.
10. What is your favorite way to stay in shape? Can you also tell me about what your regular diet looks like? Do you ever find it impossible to pass up sweets or junk food?
My favorite way to stay in shape is to hit the weights room about 5 times a week. Along with this I stick to a healthy and nutritious diet. A typical day’s food looks like this:
06:30 - Breakfast - Oats soaked in water overnight, 1 tbsp of peanut
butter added and scoop of whey, 4 x eggs scrambled, 2 x fish oils, and green tea
08:00 - Black coffee
09:00 - Chicken breast, broccoli, green beans and spinach, cup of green tea
12:00 - Turkey breast, broad beans, bell pepper and spinach, 2 x fish oil
and cup of green tea
14:00- Turkey meat balls, broccoli, green beans and broad beans, green tea,
16:00 - Pre gym whey shake, 5 g creatine, 5g BCAA's
18:00 - Post gym - Whey shake, dextrose added 2:1 ratio to protein
19:00 - Dinner - Cajun chicken quinoa, 2 x fish oil
21:30 - Casein shake, 2 tbsp of flaxseed
11. What is your biggest pet peeve at the gym?
Probably weights being left out after people have finished with them. It takes two seconds to put them away people!
12. What’s the most interesting health/fitness tip or fact you’ve come across?
The most interesting fitness tip I’ve come across is the effect good nutrition has on the body. It all starts in the gut, and out there are cures for all naturally occurring diseases. One thing I have been researching recently is spices, and this has proven to be very interesting. Cinnamon has shown to have an effect on blood sugar levels helping people with diabetes.
13. What is your favorite brand of athletic clothing?
I don’t tend to favor a particular brand. However I have recently modeled for Zoti bespoke sportswear and I have become a big fan of their clothes. Check them out on http://www.zotisports.com
14. Which do you prefer: boxers, briefs, or boxer briefs? Why?
I have all three to be honest, although my girlfriend steals them most of the time!
15. Do you favor any underwear brands? If so, which and why?
Be Klein to your behind – Calvin Klein. They have some funky and practical garments. However I do have a few other brands - Diesel, Toot, Ralph Lauren and D&G.
16. GQ wrote an article a few months ago stating that “tighty-whities” are stylish now. How do you feel about tighty-whities, & do you agree with GQ?
I’ll be honest, I have a couple of pairs and I think I would have to agree with them, although it does not suit everyone.
17. What would someone find if they went through your underwear drawer?
A mixture of underwear, from briefs to boxers. Both funky and plain.
18. Do you have any funny or memorable underwear stories?
Not necessarily underwear related but more swimwear. At one of my schools swimming gala, I jumped onto the starting blocks. Ready for a race and as I dived into the pool I lost swimming trunks in front of the whole school!